The site of ancient Titane in Korinthia was identified in 1840 by Ludwig Ross. It is located about 50 km SW of Corinth, just to the North-East of the small contemporary village of Titani, the former Voivonda. In antiquity, after Sikyon, it was probably the most important site in the Sikyonia region. However, it has remained, so far, a mostly unexplored site.
Titane was renowned in antiquity for its sanctuary of Asclepius. The sanctuary was described in detail by Pausanias who considered the cult of the god practiced on the site as ancient already at the time. None of the buildings and the monuments mentioned by the ancient traveller has been located. For over 160 years, starting with Ross, scholars have suggested several hypotheses on the location of the Asclepieion. Most of them assume that it was situated on the plateau of the upper city, NW of the acropolis; a few suggest its position to be on one of the lower terraces, in the direction of the Asopus river. However, all agree that nothing can be confirmed without proper excavations.
Fundamental research and mapping of the site was carried out by Ernst Meyer in 1937. The map he produced was, and still is, used by all scholars researching on ancient Titane. In 1975, Nikolaos Charlavtis added one feature to the map: the hypothetical borderline of the ancient town.
In 2004, the Belgian School at Athens carried out an initial archaeological and topographical investigation of the ancient site of Titane. This site, has, so far, remained a mostly unexplored site. None of the buildings mentioned by the ancient traveller have been located.
The most advanced geomatic techniques were used to draw up a new archaeological topographic map of the site and its surrounding area, a digital terrain model as well as the photogrammetry to set up an orthophoto map, specifically of the acropolis enclosure.
The aim of The “Titane revisited” project (2004-2008) is to locate the sanctuary of Asclepius and to establish the extent of the city in the course of the centuries. The excavations will clarify the historical, political and religious role played by Titane, situated midway two major centres, Nemea and Sicyon.
The continued investigation of the Titanč site near Corinth, by a team of the university of Gent and the present director of the NIA (the Netherlands Institute in Athens), former director of the BSA-EBA, Professor Kris Tytgat.